Saturday 28 October 2017

Detective Morris and The Posined Water

Detective Morris And The Poisoned Water!

Elan was working on a important document with a glass of water at his side. Elan is the chairman of a New Zealand based shipping company called Plotkin and co shipping. Elan took the glass of water and drank then continued on with his work.

“So what have we got?” Regan, (the detective of Sewlen) asked
“Elan Plotkin, chairman of Plotkin and co Shipping.” Replied Sam. (The autopsy guy)
“The cause of death was poison probably put in the glass of water.”
“Right run it for prints and let’s see what we can find.” Said Regan and then asked “Who found the body?”
“Elan’s maid Mary” Constable Rick replied
“Have you collected her statement?” Regan asked.
“No” Constable Rick replied
“Right I’ll get onto it” Reagan said exasperated.

“Mary I need to ask you some questions standard procedure since you found the body.” Regan said in a soothing voice. Mary said nothing so Reagan took the silence as a yes. “Do you know of anyone who would want to hurt or kill Elan?” Regan asked.
“Well no.” Mary replied uncertainly.
“What are you hiding?” Regan asked catching on to her tone immediately.
“Well we had a dinner guest tonight William Laurence and I could of swore he poured something into the water jug.” She replied. Immediately Regan closed his note book and replied
“I’ll go check it out.”

Regan pulled up in front of of Plotkin and co shipping and climbed out of the car and casually walked to the door. Importantly he opened the door and walked up to the front desk. “Do you have a appointment sir” Asked the desk operator in a droning voice.”
“No but I think we can make an acceptation.” Reagan replied flashing his badge.
“What do you want” He asked him eyeing him cautiously.”
“Do you now Elan Mr uh Mr-”
“Hawker Tate Hawker and yes the no good scumbag” He said in an angry voice.
“Why what did he do to you?” He asked in a soothing voice.
“I’m his son, my Mum just told me and he said that he would rather die than accept me into the family and that Mum was a dirty little scammer.” “Where were you last night?” Regan asked calmly. I was at dinner with my family.” “And may I ask if where you were dining and who can confirm this?” “At my house and yes I suggest you talk to my Mum & Dad. There my neighbours.” He replied annoyed. “Why?” “Elan was found dead this morning and you’ just earned a place in my suspect book.” He Answered confidently. “Now I need to speak to William.” Exclaimed Regan
“Yes sir” Tate replied obviously trying to get in his good book. “Take the elevator to the 12th floor.”

Regan was standing in the elevator thinking he may have established three suspects but only Tate and William had motivation for murder. Tate had practically been disowned by his own father and William had everything to gain from his death. Becoming chairman of this company which is earning $1,000,000  a month. But Mary and William were the only two with mean’s so far but he was confident he could change those numbers. Ding. The elevator startled him out of his thoughts. He walked briskly out of the elevator and knocked politely on the door Chairmans office. “Come in” Answered a brisk voice. Regan walked into the office and said
“Hello Mr Laurence. I’m Detective Morris & I need to ask you some questions.
“Well ask away” William replied nervously.
“What do you think of Elan?”
“Elan is a little ruthless” He answered nervously.
“How?” Asked Regan
“Well he would break the law to get what he wanted.”
“And what was your personal opinion of him?” Asked Detective Morris “Uh well he was uh rude and dishonorable.”
“Where were you last night?”
“Well, after work Elan had invited me over for dinner a-”
“And why was that?”
“At dinner he said that he was working on some very important document that would determine my future.”
“Thank you that is all keep in touch.” And Regan then walked out of the room.

Knock Knock Regan was knocking at Elan’s Parent’s. “Coming” Yelled a voice. The door opened Regan saw an elderly woman in her late 60’s “How may I help you?” She asked politely.
“Hello Ma’am may I come in?” Asked Regan flashing his badge.
“Yes yes come in.” She said slightly nervous. “Is Mr Plotkin in?”
“Yes he is.” A gruff voice answered
“Mr & Mrs Plotkin I’m afraid that your son was found dead this morning and-”
“No Impossible it can’t be. I saw him only yesterday.” Mr Plotkin said in a stunned voice while Mrs Plotkin just sat in disbelief no tears running down their faces. “I’m going to have to ask you to confirm that it is really him.

Beee Boooo Beeee Booooo. Regan and Elan’s parents were in the police morgue. “Sam unveil the face” said Regan
“Sir” said Sam and removed the blanket from just anoth so you could only see the face.
“It’s him” said Mr Plotkin then joined his wife who had been crying silently in the corner of the room upon seeing his face.
“I know that it is hard but I need to ask you some Questions.” Mr and Mrs Plotkin remained silent. “Do you know of anyone who would want to harm your son?”
“No. Not one person” Shrieked Mrs Plotkin.
“Thank you that will be all.” Replied Regan not wanting to push them.

Regan was walking to the morgue a ½ hour later after researching all about the company he had discovered that Tate as the son of Elan would stand to inherit all of Elan's shares and he owned ⅕  of the company's shares. The dividend allown would give him $1,000 dollars a week which equals $4,000 a month which is the same as $48,000 a year without having to work a pretty nice payday for a desk agent.

“Ahh good you're here Regan” Regan had just walked into the morgue with its test tubes hanging on walls and 3 tables for the dead guys Elan was on the first one. “I have just got the results back from the glass and the person and the fingerprints match Tate Hawker employe of Laurence shipping -”
‘Wait William has changed the name he never mentioned that.”
“Did he not? That’s weird.” said Sam puzzled
“Right. Did you say Tate had his fingerprints on the glass?” Regan asked thinking that he’s looking more & more likely.
“Yes but there was also fingerprints matching Elan and Mary”
“No surprise since Elan was the one who drunk the poison & nor is the fact that Mary’s fingerprints are on the glass if she brought it to Elan. Oh and by the way could you please test the water jug n the evidence box and I want the results in by tomorrow afternoon.”
“Yes sir”

Ding Dong. “Coming” … Ding Dong “I’m coming I’m coming. Oh detective how are you?” Said Tate when he realized who was ringing his doorbell.
“I would be better if you didn’t keep me waiting for five minutes.”
“Sorry, umm come in.”
When I walked into the house I immediately noticed a dart board with Elan's picture on it. Something told me those darts hanging from his chin weren't because he thought Elan would look better with a goatee.
“Tate.” I said getting straight to the point. “I’m going to have to take you down to the station for Questioning.”
“But I already answered all of your Questions and told you all I know.” he said a little quickly.
“Yes” I replied “Everything except that I should expect to find your fingerprints on the glass that contained the poison. Can you tell me why I found your fingerprints on that particular glass?” Silence. “Tate Hawker you have the right to remain silent. You have the right to call your lawyer. You do not have the right to order food while you're in the interrogation room.” I had checked the clock when I arrived it was 5:30pm plus I was hungry.

“Can I start by stating that my client does not have to answer any of your Questions” Said Mr Twiss, Tates lawyer.
“I’m well aware of that Mr Twiss but he should also know that if he doesn't answer my questions in the eyes of a dury it would make him look even more guilty.” I said “Now Tate where were you all day yesterday.”
“I got up at 8:00 in order for me to get to work at 9:00. When I got to work at 8:50 Elan asked to meet me at noon in his house.”
“And is that when he disowned you?”
“Yes.”
“And may ask what your reaction was to this?” Tate remained silent
“Was there any physical contact?”
“No.”
“And you're 100% sure of this.”
“I think I would remember if I hit my father.”
“And can anyone confirm that there was no violence involved?”
“Yes, the maid. She rushed in when she heard the heated voices.”
Thank you Mr Hawker that is it for now.” Said Regan and made towards the door.
“Is my client free to go?” Asked Mr Twiss
“No” Reagan replied leaving the room.

“Sir” Said Constable Rick ounce Reagan left the interrogation room.
“Yes Rick.” Replied Regan.
“I was digging in some of the company's files and it appears that when Laurence Shipping were building a cargo vessel called Sunny Days there was a robbery in the Elan’s office.”
“And did you look into it?”
“Yes. It appears that Detective Inspector James Cullen was investigating until Constable Lui replaced him and a Charlie May was arrested.”
“Nice work Rick.”
“But that's not all.” said Rick. Rick waited a few seconds before saying “He had a brother named Bill May, who disappeared the same night as his brother robbed Elan’s office. Bill May also had a daughter named Mary May who worked as a maid for Elan.”
“Get uniform to bring her in for Questioning and contact Detective Inspector Cullen and ask if he’s willing to meet me tomorrow morning.” said Regan whose mind was moving at a million miles an hour.
“Yes Sir” Replied Rick.
“And Rick” Said Regan. “I’ve got an appointment with my Superiors next week and I’ll put in a good word for you.” Said Regan and then walked out of the room.

“Detective Inspector, good of you to see me on such short notice.” Said Regan. It was 10:00 am and Regan was meeting with Detective Inspector James Cullen.
“James please. Whats this all about?” Asked James.
“Well I’m investigating the death of Elan plotkin and we notice you were removed from a certain case.” Answered Regan
“Is it the case with Charlie May?” Asked James
“Yes.” Replied Regan. “I believe that it would help the investigation if you gave us your opinion.”
“Well I was called in to Elan’s office and found an absolute mess.” Started James.
“Which you tend to get if the person was looking for a special something.” Said Regan.
“Yes, but what struck me as odd was the fact that he only took the contents of one envelope and what's more he opened it with Elans letter opener like he already new what was in their.” Replied James
“So what was in the letter?” Asked Regan.
“$430 dollars in cash” Replied James.
“But the file shows that he stole $457.90 in cash.” Said Regan puzzled.
“Yes because after he pocketed the $430 dollars in cash he then opened the safe with a key he did not have, took another $27.90 but left a valuable coin collection worth over $3,000.” Replied James Importantly.
“Soooo” said Regan.
“I looked further and came across the night watchman who lives in a train carriage & looks like a tramp.” Said James with respect in his voice.
“And did he tell you what happened?” Asked Regan
“Yes he told me that he saw Charlie rush in ¼ of an hour later run out followed by Elan. He then told me that he saw them listen to the hull. That followed Elan ordered his men to lay down their instruments in silents then going inside where they continued work. Charlie rushed into the building but left 15 minutes later calm.”
“Thankyou James.” Said Regan.

Reagan entered the interrogation room at 10:15am and sat down in front of Mary and asked, “Mary why didn’t you tell your real name?”
“I want a lawyer.” said Mary. So ten minutes later Henry Twiss walked into the interrogation room and Regan started again.
“Why did you murder Elan?” Asked Regan.
“I must protest. Don’t answer that.” Said Henry immediately
“I didn’t kill Elan!” Said Mary I didn’t poison him.”
“Who said anything about posin?” Asked Regan.
“You did” Replied Mary uncertainly.
“No I didn’t” Replied Regan. “You see I never told you the cause of death. Yes I told you he was dead but I never told you how Elan died. Also when you said that William put something in the water jug yet forgot to mention that Elan had a row with his unlegetimite son it kind of hinted uncertainty. Another Question. If William did as you say put ‘something’ in the water jug then why are you sitting before me right now? Why aren't you dead?” Regan said firing shot after shot them all hitting their mark.
“Well uhh there are separate jugs for different people. One for me, one for Elan.” Replied Mary thinking fast. Henry was sitting down dazzled and speechless.
“Are their jugs for dinner parties?” Mary didn’t answer “Is their a water jug for dinner parties?” Asked Regan again
“Yes” Said Mary Quietly.
“So correct me if I’m wrong a good and faithful maid like you pass yourself to be would make sure that the only water jug he would of seen was the dinner parties jug therefor killing himself & Elan.”
“Yes” Replied Mary “But I saw him do when he was about to leave.”
“So” Grilled Regan “You would of given Elan his personal one. But there is one more thing. There was only one jug.”
“Fine I did it!” Yelled Mary “I did it!” She exclaimed and then said “I regret nothing.”
“Explain how.” Said Regan for it was not a question.
“I was cleaning Elan’s office when I found Elan’s diary open. I was about to close it but I saw my name on it, so I looked. On there was a confession that he killed my father only so he didn’t miss the deadline.”
“Why didn’t you hand it in to the police?” Asked Regan.
“Because he would if pleaded to manslaughter and even if the jury thought it was murder he would of got 30 years 40 at most. So I took it into my own hands. I told Elan a lie to get him to invite William over to scare him. After he left I took a glass with fingerprints on it and scammed an exact copy onto the jug. Unfortunately it was Tate’s and no William’s fingerprints on the jug. I poured some poison in the jug and gave it to Elan. I watched him die. He begged me for help but I just laughed.”

“Congratulations Regan.” Said James.
“Cheers Jim” Said Regan. “Detective Inspector” Said Regan looking at his watch. “Great scot is that the time. Got to run Jim I promised to help my son with his Maths homework!” “See ya Regan.” Said James looking at his watch. “Oops I’m meant to be helping my son with his Reading Homework.” and with that the two friends ran out of the pup and rushed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment