Wednesday 3 May 2017

Rail trail recount.

Rail Trail Reflection.


On the 24/3/2017 my class and I biked the rail trail. We loaded our bikes onto
Ian Kempthorne’s truck at 9:30am. The process took about 15 minutes. Once we loaded our bikes onto the trucks we went into the cars we were put in by Mr T and Wendy. I was with Nigel Saunders. During the car trip Isaac R, Sam M and Jack S were talking about the rail trail. I tuned in and out but I was feeling a little bit queasy so I was trying to distract myself.


When we got to little river we took our packs, lunch boxes, and helmets, unloaded our bikes, then everyone moved to the lake which is the most polluted lake in N.Z. It.s toxic level was on the red which meant NO CONTACT. As you would expect someone had to put their finger in the lake. That person was Elliot.


At morning tea time I had a cheese and ham toastie, a packet of chips, a Muesli bar and two fruit burst. I put some of it in my bag pocket on the other side that my stuff was in. We took a group photo after morning tea.


We started at about 10:00 am and biked up the rail trail. Elan had taken pity on me and tried to explain the marvel superheroes as that was what we were talking about before we started and I had no idea what they were talking about. After Elan ‘helpfully’ explained who they were and I conveniently forgot. After I biked ahead of Elan and Will (Will took off his jersey) I thought to myself as I always do on my bike ride and enjoyed the view of the rural Canterbury countryside while sucking on a fruit burst happily. As Lake Ellesmere came into view I yelled at Will (who had caught up again and was slightly behind me) that I could see Lake Ellesmere. I remembered thinking to myself how much it reminded me of the sea at Kaka Point. For one reason the hugeness of the Lake Ellesmere, it was so big I could only just see the end of Lake Ellesmere.

At lunch I climbed up the hill to enjoy the meal and watched the lake talking to Will. For lunch I had another cheese and ham toastie, Muesli bar and fruit burst. My water bottle had only ⅙ by the end of the lunch. Near the end of lunch I walked to the loo did my business and then jumped on my bike and biked behind Mr T’s group. Will was a metre behind me most of the time. That length was only 8 km so it was super short. There was no lake view. About ⅕ through the second part of the bike Jess R and Chloe overtook us since me and Will weren't going fast but as they biked I saw them kick at the plants for no reason which made me a little mad. I remember thinking to myself as I biked that the rural countryside deserved the utmost respect which the girls obviously weren't giving it. As I biked along I got pretty annoyed at all the gates there were in which I had to keep getting off my bike to open them.  At the last ½ a minute I saw the gates but thought they were of no importance until I saw 2 adults by the gate. I had finished a lot sooner than I thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment